Prevenge
This movie is actually kind of deep for being pretty funny. I'm also very impressed with the fact that Alice Lowe was actually pregnant while filming this movie. The story is basically about a woman who hears voices from her unborn baby telling her to kill a bunch of people. We learn that this woman's husband had died in a climbing accident but is convinced (probably through overwhelming grief) that his death was not an accident and someone or multiple people were connected to untimely demise. One by one, she visits people who were on the climbing trip with him and kills them when she hears the baby tell her too. Now, I took this pretty literally when I watched the film. I was like oh that baby is killing in the name of her father's death since it was deliberate. However, afterwards I am more convinced that the "murder" was really an accident, and the baby's voice was her own internal monologue as she didn't process her grief in an appropriate way. She isolated herself and lived in the past which amplified the delusions she was experiencing. Although I feel like this theme has been done over and over again in horror movies, I like this one because we don't see how grief can be projected onto something not even born yet. I really love the actress! She gets to a point in her grief where she really doesn't give a shit. You can still tell that at one point she really had her life together and lived a full life with her partner while he was still alive. Her rawness in the movie made her pretty relatable. I feel like we have all gone through something so tragic that are sense of being socially acceptable was not at the forefront. She lives through her grief in a villainous, yet innocent way as she is just trying to cope with something unimaginable. It's almost like when sadness and grief can turn into anger and rage. I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would and this movie has been on my list forever. So glad I finally watched it!
Shudder rating: 4 out of 5 skulls
My rating: 4 out of 5 skulls exactly!
Comments
Post a Comment