Bram Stoker's Dracula
I think I have seen parts of this movie from time to time, but I'm really glad I watched it all the way through. Woah! It's a pretty sexual horror film (not that I'm complaining with Keanu Reeves hehe) but I guess Dracula (and vampires in general?) are pretty sexual beings. All these vampires just want to bang! I mean what else are you supposed to do if you are living an eternal life, right? For a long ass movie, I actually enjoyed the entirety of it. It's a classic "AHH I lost my love while being devoted God and now I hate God!" kind of story. It sucks that the news of Drac's death was false, but his lover took her life anyways (didn't that happen in Romeo and Juliet?) After watching Nosferatu not that long ago I definitely saw some parallels. I enjoyed both films for different reasons. I liked this version of the Dracula story because I liked how Dracula seduced Mina through physical form where in the other film, he like put a spell on her or something? I mean, yes, he also did some type of spell work with Mina in this film, but it was more face to face rather than from a dark, mysterious castle. What is so sad about both of these adaptations is that the old Count is just looking for love. I don't want to hear about men not being emotional anymore. He literally entices these women because he is not dealing with his own emotions around grief and romance. All he knows is power and destruction. The biggest difference between the two films is that in this one, Mina legit fell in love with him and was distraught when she had to do the deed of killing him (completely). In Nosferatu, sure, Mina was definitely enticed by him but idk if I would call it love. Again, Mina in this film was also put in a trance but I feel like the spell to cause that was not as powerful? Like there was some interest on her end not entirely caused by the spell? Maybe I am just crazy. Both films ended with these women killing the vamps (either through stab through the heart/beheading or fried by the sun while having sex). Anthony Hopkins was weird yet somehow a good Van Helsing (makes me want to watch that movie again now). He's like guys...the reason you are seeing all this weird shit is because there is literally a vampire causing all of it, duh. I think in both films, Helsing's character is pretty matter of fact, but in this one he gives less of a fuck. Maybe because he is also old and doesn't have the patience for this shit anymore. Idk why I was expecting this movie to be so mid. I really liked it and would def watch again!
IMDb rating: 7.4 out of 10 stars
My rating: 7.5 out of 10 stars (just because I felt like it needed .1 star more)
Comments
Post a Comment